Current Scientific Research Interests:
- Physics and Chemistry of the upper troposphere and lower stratosphere (UTLS)
- Physical and chemical behavior of the tropopause
- Ozone and water vapor transport in the UTLS region
- UTLS processes related to the Asian Summer Monsoon (ASM)
- Convective transport and its role in UTLS coulping
- Airborne field campaigns on UTLS process studies
- Observation and modeling of the UTLS region using satellite, aircraft and chemistry-climate and chemistry-transport models
Recent and On Going Projects:
- NCAR UTLS Project (UTLS project home)
- START08 experiment (START08 home) (Spring 2008) and CCMI data project (CCMI 2013).
- UTLS workshop The Extra-tropical UTLS:
observations, concepts and future directions, Boulder, CO, October 19-13, 2009
- International Workshop :
Asian Summer Monsoon and Its Role in Global Stratosphere-Troposphere Exchange
(ASM-STE) Lhasa, China, July 20-23, 2010.
- Special Symposium on Chemistry-Cimate Interactions IUGG 2011
Melbourne Australia, June 28-July 7, 2011.
- DC3: Deep Convective Clouds and Chemistry Experiment (DC3)
- SEAC4RS: Studies of Emissions and Atmospheric Composition, Clouds and Climate Coupling by Regional Surveys (SEAC4RS NASA/ESPO) Houston, TX, August-September, 2013.
- ACAM: International workshop on Atmospheric Composition and the Asian Summer Monsoon (ACAM home), Kathmandu, June 9-12, 2013.
- CONTRAST: CONvective TRansport of Active Species in the Tropics (CONTRAST Project Home) Guam, Jan-Feb 2014.
Past Scientific Activities:
- Quantum optics and multiphoton processes
- Satellite remote sensing retrieval theory
Education and Professional Positions Held: Bio Sketch